Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lydia Goldthwaite & Newell Knight Marriage

Brinkerhoff line. In a seminary lesson on D&C 110, I shared the following journal entry from Joseph Smith from November 24, 1835, when he performed the marriage of Newell K. Knight and Lydia Goldthwaite (my 5th great grandparents). This was the first marriage ever performed by Joseph.

“I had an invitation to attend a wedding at Br. Hiram [Hyrum] Smith’s in the evening to solemnize the matrimonial ceremony [between Newell Knight and Lydia Goldthwaite] I and my wife went, when we arrived a considerable company had collected, the bridegroom & bride came in and took their seats, which gave me to understand that they were ready, I requested them to arise and join hands, I then remarked that marriage was an institution of heaven instituted in the garden of Eden, that it was necessary that it should be solemnized by the authority of the everlasting priesthood, before joining hands however, we attended to prayers. I then made the remarks above stated. The ceremony was original [with me] it was in substance as follows, You covenant to be each others companions through life, and discharge the duties of husband & wife in every respect to which they assented, I then pronounced them husband & Wife in the name of God and also pronounced the blessings that the Lord conferred upon adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden; that is to multiply and replenish the earth, with the addition of long life and prosperity; dismissed them and returned home.--The weather is freezing cold, some snow on the ground.” “The Joseph Smith Papers, Journals”, page 109

I admitted to being somewhat underwhelmed by the marriage ceremony and asked why Joseph didn’t marry them “for time and all eternity”. They explained (smart kids!) that the sealing power hadn’t been restored yet. Then we jumped into Section 110 where the keys to that power was restored four months later.

No comments:

Post a Comment